I have been inspired by Buddhism and Zen for a long time.
It was about twenty years ago when I attended courses on Buddhist meditation in London.
Coming from Judaic and Catholic background, it was refreshing for me to explore ideas based on human experience rather than what was written in the Book.
It didn't take me long however to find out that - from my point of view at least - Buddhism and even Zen practices are crowded with layers of unnecessary frills.
While Zen highlighted the importance of experience and direct realization as opposed to scholarly and theoretical knowledge, it seems to me that it didn't go far enough.
When I look at Zen practices nowadays I see mostly people dressed up in robes, deep in meditation, surrounded by objects and symbols that somehow confer authority and respect.
I wonder whether this is the real spirit of Zen, or is it just unnecessary fluff.
And I would like to express again that my thoughts apply only to my personal journey. If somebody finds that wearing a robe and sitting in a lotus position is good for their spiritual journey, I'm happy for them. It just doesn't seem to work for me.
I will be sharing thoughts and notes about my own journey and I invite to partecipate if you like.
No comments:
Post a Comment